I know you thought this day would never come, and I was starting to doubt myself as well. But anyone who knows me also knows that I hate to give up – especially since I promised this to my son. Their family trip has been postponed due to the Coronavirus pandemic and tightening freedoms everywhere. In the meantime I get to keep this true effort of love for months to come!
I’ll try to start where I left off months ago. Back in December, I had thought I would be erecting a corrugated iron roof over the porch, but I decided it looked too out of place, so I scrapped it. The front porch is made from miscellaneous strips of basswood that I stained, aged, and over painted to create aged, mossy wood that has been sitting in the woods and shade for years. I aged the grouting between the logs with grey, brown and black paint and glued pieces of landscape moss in some of the crevices and dark, dank areas where I thought it would grow naturally. Also darkened the foundation rocks and glued debris to there as well. The kitchen is on the other side of the door, which is intended to be an add on lean-to shanty on the side of the main cabin. (This is all my imagination speaking. The cabin has to have a story!). It contains a large wood burning cook stove (see the pipe venting on the right side?) and a primitive table turned washstand next to it. There currently is just one shelf to hold food stuff. I’m having a real issue finding canned goods to fill the shelf, so that’s something I will still work on. There’s also a moose head mounted on the tall wall near the doorway to the main cabin.
This front part of the building is the original abandoned barn that was purchased to serve as the main part of the cabin. The barn doors are made from stained, painted and aged planks again. The exterior structure was made mainly from logs harvested in the surrounding woods, but was at times supplemented with fir planks – whatever materials were at hand. There is also a spotlight (battery operated) in the top right corner of the picture to be used to illuminate the outside.
The box on the side of the cabin houses the wires, battery and switch for the Led lights that illuminate the 55 gallon wood burning drum and the stove pipe (made from an oversized silicone straw) vents the fumes to the outside.
The roof was made from 1/8 plywood and wood strips to look like a green metal roof. It was painted true green, then over painted and moss and debris glued to it to simulate a relatively new roof. After all, the original one was rotted and falling into the main room, and with the kitchen addition, a new roof was a necessity! Oh, and a weathervane was a requested item from my son. I added the small window on the peak of the barn to give a little more light to the inside as there is a loft there.
Now let’s take a peek at the inside! Lean-to kitchen first.
As you can see, there is a sizable metal wood stove with doors that open to the firebox. That red glow is an Led light paired with an orange flashing light to mimic a fire. This is operational from the switch in the box on the outside. I fed the electrical wire thru a tiny gap inside the stove, then drilled a hole near the floor to feed the wires through to outside. There is a pan of bacon and eggs frying and dishes at the ready. Every hunter needs a dog, and this one is a big Lab, taking a snooze in front of the fire on a fishy rug. The hanging light is like the two in the main cabin, and are battery operated at the base. And, a moose head on the wall! The washstand is over by the window and a barrel of firewood stands at the ready. That red glow in the above pic is the 55 gallon barrel in the main room.
So, the back of the main cabin opens to the right on a hinge I installed inside. Two reasons for this rather than leaving the back open as is typical in a miniature. 1). It just exposed the inside too much for me. A lot of the character would have been lost if not for the back wall – you wouldn’t get the “sense” of the inside of cabin because it would have been flooded with light. 2). I needed more wall space for the furniture and a 3-D bear skin. This was actually made to be a rug, but there wasn’t a good vantage point for it, so I hung it on the wall.
This gives you a good look at just about everything. The gathering table complete with 2 chairs, a “hooch” jug, cups, a working lantern and Field and Stream magazines….The ladder up to the loft, the bunk beds and sleeping bags I made, the barn doors complete with supports to slide a wooden plank into place for security, a coat rack with warm coats, and the corrugated iron facing on the walls by the stove. You also get a good look at the logs supporting the vaulted ceiling (as in the lean-to, as well).
Above are a few more items to hang on the walls, which I’m leaving up to the discretion of my son. I plan on making a braided rug with the floss for in front of the drum in the main cabin. The doggie can’t lay on a bare floor!
So, that concludes the tour of the Hunting Cabin. Took me almost 6 months to make it because I was getting so sick of brown. Really, my senses were starving for color! But, I’m pleased to say that I’m very happy with the finished build – it was quite a change from my usual creations. Thanks for stopping by!