I’ve been totally immersed in this new project of the Baslow Ranch – we will come up with a new name, but for now let’s just call it the Ranch. I spent quite a bit of time drawing up plans so I get the space I want.I pretty much got it all planned, except I need more wall space in the big room, what with the barn doors in front, and a loft along the side. So, I’ve decided I will enclose the back of the large room with a wall except for a small door leading out the back to get to the outhouse. Gotta build that, too. I did alter the roof shape because I didn’t want the front to look like a barn or an old service station. I didn’t like that front elevation…..So I cut off the front above the double doors even with the the actual roof line…..and I will be eliminating the small door to the left because I need that wall space for the wood stove and cord wood. And, the glass transom windows are also gone. So, my initial “story” for this is that this hunter bought this rundown log cabin to make into a hunting retreat in Montana, and added the shed addition to make more room for a kitchen. So, all the outside walls of the original cabin will be made from logs, and the kitchen addition will be from reclaimed barn wood (and whatever could be found to nail together!)
Here is the Ranch so far…..For the logs, I’ve used 3/8″ half round wood moulding from Home Depot that comes in 8 foot lengths, and stained it with Minwax. Then comes the tedious task of cutting each individual log with the little saw attachment to my Drexel and trying to get each piece the right length…measure, measure, cut, oops doesn’t fit, measure, measure, cut, close enough….adds to the rustic charm, etc. You get the idea. I ordered 6 lengths of 96″ – – I know, 48 feet sounds like a lot, but we’ll see. I also have all widths of basswood from Dick Blick and before staining them, I beat them up with a hammer, and when I build with them, I gouge them, cut holes in them, chip away at them…..to make them look aged, and then dry paint them and rub it off, you know. Very labor intensive. And I ordered flat round stones from Washington State gleaned from the Pacific Ocean to use around the raised foundation of the porch. Have to age them yet, too.
I’m using a flexible caulk in a squeezable tube to mimic the grout between the logs. Works really well, and it’s easy to clean up my mistakes later with a sharp pointy tool.I’ve covered the front wall and floor of the kitchen so far while waiting for lower humidity here on the southern North Carolina coast, so I can cut more logs in the garage. I hate sweating. It has been challenging to make everything rustic, worn and aged, but I couldn’t resist this cute fishy rug from Green Gypsies on Etsy. She make the cutest rugs and mini signs to decorate your creations, and I can always be sure I’ll find something on her site that is perfect for whatever project I’m working on. It’s just too precious. Everything can’t be old and worn….and then here is big room. Haven’t done much except window trim, painted the floor, and blocked off the door. There will be logs on the interior walls as well except for the tall wall between the rooms.
That’s it for now. Getting bit by bit done. Not in any big hurry, except I already know what my next project will be. I’m a former quilter of 30 years, but never made myself a quilt, but I will when this build is done. I’m eager for a break from this and hope I won’t regret it….but that is months away. Be back soon!