Help and Opinions Needed!

Thought I’d try to do incremental updates, especially considering my next step to construct the curved (and shed) roof line will challenge me unendingly.

So, I finally made the loft floor with wide popsicle sticks to look more like an old wooden floor that has been heavily used. I pounded and poked it to look worn, then used several layers of different paints that I kept wiping off with dry and wet paper towels to achieve the look I wanted. Then I applied regular popsicle sticks on the underside and did a white wash for the dining room ceiling.I purchased the railing since it was so much more professional than making it myself, and just cut it to size, glued on stair posts, then painted it in Plaid chalk paint in Bavarian. Which prompts me to make an error correction from my last post. I wrongly stated this light yellow color as “buff”, but in reality it is “Bavarian” – like a Bavarian creme. I made support posts from 3/16″ x 3/16″ x 24″ basswood I order from Dick Blick art materials, at http://www.dickblick.com – check out all their many sizes of modeling wood, available in small or large quantities. Easy ordering and fast shipping. Love them.The dining room light is battery operated. I usually use lighting supplies from Evans Designs ordered thru http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com. I learned this lighting technique from http://www.cinderellamoments.com – wired tiny bulbs that hook up to a 3v coin battery. I will be making the kitchen chandelier with that method, but sometimes I prefer more stylized lighting.

Once I had the loft glued in place, I added the staircase. I had considered making the underside of the stairs enclosed with a small door for a closet, but since the space is so small, I opted to place an elegant writing desk under there instead – to be seen at a later date. Oh, I recently noticed that the wallpaper I used is actually printed with tulips – it’s called Tulip Tapestry from http://www.dollhousesandmore.com. There were several different color ways, but I opted for the faintly yellow tulips – with the beige background, it was perfect for my color scheme. Kinda fitting for a windmill, huh?So here I am at the next hurdle I have to trip over. As you can see in the pic below of the original model structure I purchased, the roof curves so I need to build rafter supports the whole length of the cottage (16″), which should still provide a 7″ ceiling in the loft. This is one an artist constructed from the basic kit from Greenleaf.The inside should look something like this pic I found on Pinterest….., except the dome is made from stone, and there aren’t any supports. I want a wooden ceiling but I’m afraid all that glue would warp the roof, since I plan on using corrugated cardboard.Maybe I should rethink this. I could thatch the roof, and maybe use the cardboard for the inside, which would then be the domed ceiling. That way I wouldn’t have to spend a week gluing popsicle sticks on only to find it won’t bend properly (also a necessary consideration). The kit came with this one support for the roof – I would need to make one more so I have one in the middle – where the roof line is going to change (another obstacle) and I’d need one on the very back. It will help keep the shape of the roof.Considering I don’t have a scroll saw, I could purchase another kit (it’s cheap), and I’d have my extra support that way. It’s cheaper than investing in a scroll saw, although there are times I could use one. Like a model sized one from Micro-Mark. I had ordered one of their tiny machines one time, but returned it because at 4″, plus a transformer and the outrageous price, I just couldn’t see where it would be useful for very long.

Okay, I need some opinions, some help on this! Anyone have ideas that I haven’t thought of, or something? Help!!! You should know that the height of the shed part of the roof changes. I wanted more height in the kitchen area, so I extended the large window wall about 1 3/4″, as I did on the loft wall. I think I can manage the dome part all the way back, even with a height change, but somehow I have to transition the shed part of the roof. Here’s a better pic of the height change….Geez, when I look at it in a pic, it looks impossible. Let me work on some mock ups in the meantime and I’ll publish them here. It’s easier for me to study it visually than just in my mind. The sink is just set in there for size comparisons. I have an Aga stove, and and island as well. That’s later. Need to do all the trim on the walls, a hearth, the door hardware, etc. Here’s one more pic looking straight on…..By the way, the loft turned out absolutely level (see the micro level on the loft floor?), the house wasn’t sitting on a flat part of my craft table for this shot. Okay, I’m done here. Hoping to hear thoughts from some of you…thanks in advance! (The curtains on my sunroom windows perfectly match the cottage color scheme!). Just realized that maybe I should finish the outside before I put on a roof! But, in the event the shed roof size changes prove difficult, I’m leaving open the option of making the whole shed roof the same height, which would necessitate adding more height to the front elevation as well as some of the right side. Ok, now I’m really done..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.